From Miller Memorial Library to the Anna Centenary Library - 25/06/2023

After about a week joining at Madras Christian College (Autonomous) for pursuing my undergraduate course in B.A English Language and Literature under the aided stream I had my first visit to my college library named as 'Miller Memorial Library'. Since, it was my first time I just took a random book from the 'English' section and read it. Then, whenever I had my free hours I started to have regular visits to the library. Till the end of my 1st semester I used to go either to the 'English'or 'Philosophy' section to read. Then, from my 2nd semester onwards I started to use Reading Hall 1 as our syllabus started to have poetry, prose, drama and fiction as I had my own books to read. I felt that my college's library is one among the places that is really good for people who want to use their time productively especially for the arts students.

Miller Memorial Library, Madras Christian College (Autonomous),06/08/2022,Saturday

Since, I have a regular habit of using my college library, it has become one among my favourite places at MCC.

Then, there begins the journey of 3rd semester, we have a paper titled 'Practical Introduction to Literature' which is being dealt by Prof. Dr Samuel Rufus sir. It was my first time attending sir's class because we meet new professor's each semester. Sir has encouraged us to write atleast 4-5 short stories, because as a B.A English Language and Literature student we must be able to create our own works of poetry, short stories and novels. Sir also asked us to visit the 'Anna Centenary Library' during the weekend. So, I have decided to go to the library on the Saturday which is 24/06/2023 but as it was raining from Friday night I wasn't able to make it up as the station would be muddy. So, the next day 25/06/2023 around 13:00 pm I went by train and have reached the library by 14:30 pm. Then, first I went to the 3rd floor to the Philosophy section and read a book titled 'Philosophy of Mind - an introduction' written by George Graham. I started reading the book by 15:40 pm and then completed chapter 1 by 16:10 pm. The 1st chapter dealt with the differences between physics, philosophy, history and psychology.
Anna Centenary Library 

Philosophy of Mind - an introduction 

The 1st chapter of this book acts as an eye opener towards the differences between philosophy of mind and psychology. Many of us think that philosophy of mind and psychology are just similar terms but that's not the case. Psychology is a scientific approach to study the human brain which deals with approaching the concept by performing experiments whereas philosophy of mind deals with thoughts and various other terminologies used in philosophy. This chapter actually gave many illustrations to understand the difference between a feeling that we acquire after experiencing something and the feeling that we get by hearing or reading about someone else's experience.
Then, I moved to the 4th floor where we can find the literature (which includes English, German, French, etc) section where I started to read 'Pride and Prejudice' by Jane Austen. I chose this book because I started to read this book and have completed till chapter 3 already, so I continued reading from chapter 4 to 6 from 16:40 pm to 17:10 pm. Then, I went to the aavin parlour which was inside the library and went home.


About Anna Centenary Library:
The library has books of various disciplines and especially the literature section and philosophy section has books that are well maintained and the library has a quite ambience and it's really a very good place to spend your time in a productive manner.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Poem 7 : Why I don't know ?

A visit to an Ancient Architecture - 27/05/2023